Thursday, January 29, 2009

Our house is kind of a mess, so until that's resolved there won't be quite as much work in the garden. However, for sanity's sake, I've gotta spend some time out there!

Transferred some broccoli seedlings up to the big veggie patch and mulched with oak leaves.

Noticed a few bites taken out of the newly transferred spinach. I'll have to brew some bug spray soon (this is a random concoction of garlic, pepper and soap). Maybe tonight? I've also heard that egg shells deter bugs. Maybe I'll separate the egg shells from my normal composting stuff and try mulching with that, too.

Sowed about 13 spearmint seeds (they're so tiny!) in little starter pots (actually they're plastic bottoms from random disposables that would otherwise become trash. Go Recycling!). The directions say to start them indoors and warm the bottoms. So, they're in the laundry room on top of the dryer. Hopefully the heat from drying my delicate loads and loads done on rainy days (all other loads go to the clothes line) will be enough! I don't want to resort to heating pads just yet.

I'm also talking to my mom about getting a group of people together who are interested in purchasing FFA animals (we're thinking a pig and a steer) for food. The positive of an FFA animal is its humane treatment and healthier lifestyle. I know it's a sad thought to bid on an animal who is eventually going to be on your dinner plate. But even more depressing is that most animals who arrive at the same plate rarely (if ever) see sunlight, live miserable lives (mostly in the same 20 square feet atop their own feces), and are fed all sorts of hormones and antibiotics. So, if you're like me and care about your health and the humane treatment of animals (but just can't seem to give up meat) hit me up and we can all go in together on a purchase. The auctions are in May.

!Hasta Luego!

2 comments:

  1. How funny that you use the bottoms of bottles for started pots! I do that too! The tops are great for cloches also, to keep the moisture and warmth in, like a mini green house!

    You probably already know this but mint is VERRRY invasive, you gotta watch it close so that it doesn't spread like wildfire and take over other plants. Growing it in a container solves the problem nicely, or growing it in between stones in a pathway or rock garden is really neat. Then if someone steps on it the yard smells minty and wonderful.

    I'm really interested in the meat thing, keep me posted with any details as they come:)

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the idea from you because you gave me a basil plant in a bottle bottom. The top thing is genious! Thanks!

    Good to know about the invasive mint. I could actually use some "take over" plants (other than weeds) to spruce up some of the unmanagable areas of our property!

    I'll keep you posted on the meat thing for sure! Let me know if you know of anybody else that would be interested!

    ReplyDelete